XML and Programming Languages, Summer Term 2008
We study query and transformation languages for XML processing, both from a pragmatic perspective and regarding their semantic underpinnings.
See also a related seminar course that takes place in the next term.
- declarative programming
- formal language theory
- mathematical logic
The lectures and tutorials are scheduled for Thursday 07:30-09:00 (DS 1), every week, and Friday 14:50-16:20 (DS 5), every second week, all in room INF E005.
On April 11th, there is an additional lecture 13:00-14:30 (DS 4) in room INF 3027.
On April 17th and 18th, May 2nd, and July 17th, there are no lectures or tutorials.
Starting May 30th, the Friday slot is moved to 13:00-14:30 (DS 4).
The current overall plan looks as follows:
- April 10th, lecture
- April 11th, lecture
- April 24th, tutorial/lecture
- May 8th, lecture
- May 22nd, lecture
- May 29th, lecture
- May 30th, tutorial
- June 5th, lecture
- June 12th, lecture
- June 13th, tutorial
- June 19th, lecture
- June 26th, lecture
- June 27th, tutorial/lecture
- July 3rd, lecture
- July 10th, lecture
- July 11th, tutorial
- A. Møller and M.I. Schwartzbach. An Introduction to XML and Web Technologies. Addison-Wesley, 2006.
- L. Segoufin and V. Vianu. Validating Streaming XML Documents. Principles of Database Systems, Proceedings, pp. 53-64, ACM Press, 2002.
- M. Benedikt and C. Koch. XPath Leashed. ACM Computing Surveys, to appear.
- G. Gottlob, C. Koch, and R. Pichler. Efficient Algorithms for Processing XPath Queries. ACM Transactions on Database Systems 30(2):444-491, 2005.
- D. Olteanu, H. Meuss, T. Furche, and F. Bry. XPath: Looking Forward. Workshop on XML Data Management, Proceedings, LNCS 2490, pp. 109-127, Springer-Verlag, 2002.
- P.T. Wood. Minimising Simple XPath Expressions. Workshop on the Web and Databases, Proceedings, pp. 13-18, 2001.
- G.J. Bex, S. Maneth, and F. Neven. A formal model for an expressive fragment of XSLT. Information Systems 27(1):21-39, 2002.
- H. Hosoya and B.C. Pierce. XDuce: A Statically Typed XML Processing Language. ACM Transactions on Internet Technology 3(2):117-148, 2003.
- J. Hidders, J. Paredaens, R. Vercammen, and S. Demeyer. A Light but Formal Introduction to XQuery. XML Database Symposium, Proceedings, LNCS 3186, pp. 5-20, Springer-Verlag, 2004.
Last Updated: July 2008,